Friday, October 18, 2013

Week 7: What are your thoughts about “learning in the collective”?

I'm already incredibly biased on this point: I have had the benefit for learning from the collective for several years now - via my online PLC.  By finding, reading, and commenting on blogs of like-minded educators, as well as following a community of innovative educators on Twitter, my practice has been impacted in more ways than any other period in my career preceding that time.  Some people say one of the bad things about the internet is that it encourages people to limit their consumption of information to sources that back up what they already believe.  Although this is true to a certain extent, what is not noted in particular point of view is that many people are not only consuming - they are also contributing.  As members of the "collective" do this, it's inevitable that new thinking emerges. Of course I will follow "like-minded" educators, because I am interested in using the collective primarily for learning, not arguing.  Like-minded does not mean identical - obviously we all have our own experiences and untried ideas to bring to the table for discussion.  As a whole, these experiences and ideas are more than the experiences and ideas of one.

Why is it that we seem to learn so much more in the collective?  Obviously we are participating because we are passionate about the topic at hand - that's a given.  However, Thomas and Seely Brown offer another perspective when talking about collectives in general, as well as ones that may gather around a special interest forum or site.  "There are no tests or lectures. There is no public influencing of private minds.  Yet learning happens all the time. And because there is no targeted goal or learning objective, [the site] can be used and shaped in ways that meet the needs of the collective -," (Thomas, Seely Brown, 2012).

In a Wired article, "Why even the worst bloggers are making us smarter", author Clive Thompson says, "The fact that so many of us are writing - sharing our ideas, good and bad, for the world to see - has changed the way we think.  Just as we now live in public, so do we think in public. And that is accelerating the creation of new ideas and the advancement of global knowledge." He talks about how online networks perpetuate more writing by individuals, and as a result, we are now more producers of knowledge than the consumers of knowledge we were before the internet.

Hitting a little closer to home, educator/blogger George Couros recently posted, "Isolation is now a choice educators make." He promotes the idea that teacher blogging is not only a powerful reflective practice, but also a way to share ideas and improve by making our practice more transparent.

When I began participating in collectives, I also began blogging.  Through my network I was learning about a lot of new things, and coming up with a lot of ideas.  I'd try things out, and share what happened through my blog.  It helped me to be exactly as Couros suggests, more reflective - even within that activity I could generate some new questions and ideas for me to ponder.  I had a choice - I could sit on those questions and ideas I came up with alone, or they could lead me to new collectives where I could learn even more from others - the second option was easy, in part because as Thomson and Seely Brown mention, it was fun! It was a topic I was passionate about, I wanted to learn more about it, and I enjoyed it!

Now I wonder, why would teachers choose isolation? For younger teachers having grown up in the generation of the availability of the internet collective, taking part in it is something that comes naturally to them - though this does not necessarily mean they will choose to take part in one that helps them to learn more about their practice.  But for educators who did not grow up within this culture, have many made the shift?

Resources:
Thomas, D., & SeelyBrown, J. (2011). A new culture of learning: cultivating the imagination for a world of constant change. Lexington, Ky.: CreateSpace?.

Couros, G. (2013, October 7). Isolation is now a choice educators make. | The Principal of Change. The Principal of Change | Stories of learning and leading. Retrieved October 16, 2013, from http://georgecouros.ca/blog/archives/4156

Thompson, C. (2013, September 17). Why Even the Worst Bloggers Are Making Us Smarter | Wired Opinion | Wired.com.wired.com . Retrieved October 16, 2013, from http://www.wired.com/opinion/2013/09/how-successful-networks-nurture-good-ideas/all/

6 comments:

  1. "By finding, reading, and commenting on blogs of like-minded educators, as well as following a community of innovative educators on Twitter, my practice has been impacted in more ways than any other period in my career preceding that time". I feel the same way. In the past while taking classes online, they have been lectured based. I would sit through them, get distracted, get confused, and lose motivation to continue on. I did not really start to enjoy our online courses until we started using the blogs, Twitter, and other resources to communicate with others. With this kind of learning, I felt like I had more control of my learning. I was able to look at many different blogs and view points, and build my own knowledge. I was able to focus on ideas that I found interesting. Individuals were sharing resources and I was able to look into them and use them in my own classroom. I was also able to do this all on my own time, which is a big positive when I teach, have other school responsibilities, am taking classes, and I am trying to plan a wedding.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the Wired article you quoted from- about how even the worst bloggers are making us smarter because they are sharing their ideas. It does make us think differently. I notice how blogging in a collective can be powerful. You can expand or deepen your understanding, or change your thinking or perspective. It can be easy to get off topic, but there are times that is fine. Those little off-shoots can bring new awareness as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Blogging does make a person reflective... I think. Or do reflective people blog? Either way, this is why I think teaching students to blog is helpful. If you know you have an audience larger than just yourself or your teacher, the hope is that you think before you write. Did you have a fully formed and supported thought? Did you present yourself as a thinking person (correct grammar and punctuation)? Can you respond appropriately to comments on your blog? Blogging is a fantastic way to enter collective learning!

    ReplyDelete
  4. "Why is it that we seem to learn so much more in the collective? Obviously we are participating because we are passionate about the topic at hand." and you as you also mention, it is fun! I totally agree from my own perspective. However, I wonder about my students perspective, taking a course they do not like and many fear, they are definitely not passionate about it. Could they really embrace, learn, and potentially enjoy a learning collective on that topic? Or would it turn into a griping session, with complaints, and 'poor me' vibes. I suppose that is where the instructor would step in to redirect the discussion, but doesn't that go against the idea of a collective where "There is no public influencing of private minds"?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tracey, I really like the positive outlook you have on the collective experience. Interest plays a huge role in a person’s contribution to a discussion, but the fact that there are no tests or lectures, definitely plays a role in a persons to have the desire to contribute. In a way, a collective environment is non-threatening. People feel comfortable expressing their opinions without an concrete negative reactions resulting from them. Although I do believe the quote “isolation is not a choice educators make”, I don’t necessarily believe that if an educator does not blog, they are pin holding themselves. Blog is a useful tool to reflect and share ideas, but not necessarily the only way to contribute to the greater society. Personally I like to keep a journal of my experiences, and talk about it with other coworkers. From there I do research online, looking for articles and other blogs that help shed light into my predicament. I, regardless on how many courses I’ve been required to write blogs, feel comfortable creating one based around my own career. So I guess I’m limiting myself, but I honestly feel too vulnerable putting my whole life out on the Internet. Yes, I see the benefits, and I do use blogging to an extent, but I don’t believe I’ll every feel that comfortable making my like a public as other people.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am a "tweener" on this topic. When I was finishing college we had little training on how to integrate computers into the classroom. They were vehicles to deliver information and type up reports. I was trained on their use to enhance my delivery but not the students learning experience. I am somewhat comfortable with computers but as far as being literate and using them well I still struggle. I do agree with you on what I have learned using this method. You have been a person that I look to for information I noticed that last spring in class you have a good handle on things. I also notice the difference in your analysis of the collective and the comment you addressed about "like minded" PLN. I shows that you have had more experience in these communities and the level of involvement is different for you.

    ReplyDelete