Sunday, October 6, 2013

Week 5: Reflections

1. What resources/ideas did I share this week?
I feel like I did a lot of rambling this week, but really that's just the equivalent of my think-aloud process.  Some people use talking for that, I do it in writing. I think the "Assessing ourselves to death" article was good for me, because it spurs me to think outside of the box.

What did I intend to be the impact of my resources on others' learning?
After re-reading that article this week, it helped me to synthesize the ideas in the reading.  I hope others got a chance to look it over and do the same.  I know we all like to go back and point out how this or that was different when we were kids. But this week what I was really dwelling on was how much it is the same - even with technology!

2. What actual impact could I discern?
Andrea commented that after reading my post she realized that she was still teaching in a way that re-emphasized the mechanistic view.  What bothers me is that this is something I still do as well - more often than I like.  I have made a concentrated effort during the past 5 years to move away from this, but find myself feeling corralled by the curriculum.  There are always ways around this - you can "teach to" the curriculum, but stills set up your learning environment from the point of inquiry and discovery.  However, at times I find myself looking at it and slipping back into traditional planning habits - ones that will inevitably lead to me being the one who decides the direction, focus, and goals of the learning that will take place. Thinking different takes practice and persistence!

3. What will I do differently next week?
I was actually satisfied and stimulated by the way the readings kind of guided my thinking this week.  Using the reading as a leaping off point to look for more resources that give me a wider, or even a counter perspective is a good for pushing me to dig deeper. I'll make a point of doing it again next week.

4. What resources did others share that made a difference to my learning?
Heather shared an article from November Learning that I enjoyed.  Although I don't read his stuff often, like Alfie Kohn and other educational "agitators", they are good for pushing you a little to make you really consider other sides of the discussion.

No comments:

Post a Comment