Sunday, September 29, 2013

Week 4: Reflection

1. What resources/ideas did I share this week?
Two great resources I shared were two that I often refer back to when I look to resources/ideas for mentoring.  One was the Edutopia article about mentoring specifically for technology. It reminds me that this ads another layer of complexity - you are not just talking pedagogy, you are also talking about technological knowledge and skills, which is a whole other level for some people.  There are a lot of other "feelings" (for lack of a better way of putting it) that are added to the mix.  The other resource I included was the link to the New Teacher Center and their formative assessment system.  I really like how they have incorporated a sound teaching practice into the idea of mentoring others.  Their FAS stresses that the best mentoring situation is one in which you have a collaborative relationship with your mentee.

2. What did I intend to be the impact of my resources on others' learning?  Mentoring is far more than simply teaching someone else a skill.  It involves building a trusting relationship, finding a balance between what the mentee feels they want/need and directing them toward an alignment with their needs and best practices.  The resources I listed stress the importance of these considerations.

3. What actual impact could I discern? I described my mentoring plan and data collection based on the ideas included in these resources.  The commentors on my post both indicated that they appreciated this focused approach to mentoring.

4. What will I do differently next week?  I'll continue to try to keep an eye out for resources that are not only a source of inspiration and ideas for me, but that will also help others as they move into this mentoring project.

5. What resources did others share that made a difference to my learning? Jonathan shared an Education Week article that I found interesting because it really stressed the role of a quality and qualified mentor. What often happens in schools and districts is that veteran teachers are often assigned to new teachers and told they will mentor them - even though the veteran teachers may not want to do this or understand how mentoring works.  Needless to say, this situation is rarely helpful. Andrea also shared a site I had not heard of before but will definitely be visiting again - The iPad Professional Development Site.  Lots of good ideas there that, mentoring or not, I can use in my daily dealings and in PLC's with my colleagues regarding iPad issues and questions.

No comments:

Post a Comment