Sunday, September 8, 2013

Week 1: Reflections

I enjoyed going through the blogs - mainly because it is interesting to hear about the "passion" that has driven different people to teaching, and how they identify that.  There was a common thread that I sensed fairly quickly, and realized that it applies to me as well - that is, most of us have a passion for being agents of change. We all seem drawn to the idea that we can make something happen for the kids we teach, and what drives us every day is the idea that we have the skill to be able to do that. But even deeper, the real passion comes from the constant challenge that we take on each day, week and year: How will we do it?  No one is afraid to take on that challenge, and the real enjoyment comes from the methods, creativity, and expertise we apply to the task.

I believe it was Andrea's blog I read in which she talks about realizing some of the teaching "methods" she uses are effective both in school and at home!  It made me start thinking about what kinds of crossovers I bring between home and work (asking which one came first is like a chicken/egg question though).  I feel like I am a fairly organized person.  Part of my drive to being organized and efficient, both at home and at work, is for several reasons; 1. it allows me to get a lot more done, 2. it makes me feel like things are getting done and I'm not wasting time, 3. it allows me more free time to do other things with my family, or just for myself.  I like being able to relax without feeling like there are a million things that need my attention, and I hate feeling rushed or behind.

So for me, being organized ultimately translates into a better quality of life. A lot of what I try to impart to my technology students in the content I teach and how I teach it, is not just how to use a certain tool or piece of software, but how using them in a certain way, or in conjunction with some other tools, can make them more efficient as well.  For many of my students, technology will naturally be a part of their lives. So I guess an epiphany I've had is there is a translation of my "passion" for technology between home and school - to impress upon my students that when applied in an organized way, these methods and tools have the potential to improve their quality of life.


No comments:

Post a Comment