Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Project 2

This project started out crowded but ended up solo - which actually was just fine given that many of us were exploring edmodo.  We needed each other to the extent that we needed to know how to create connections and network within the program, and also join other groups, assign groups, push content and assessments, and be on the student end to take those assessments. Beyond that, much of the exploring, testing and thinking was on our own.

I have used edmodo in my classroom before - although I am not using it this year because I am overseeing many online courses. We are looking at using it school wide next year.  If we make the decision to do that (and I'm hoping we do), I will be the one to roll it out.  So I started thinking about how I could approach that and bring out the features of edmodo that I knew our teachers would most be interested in, while also adhering to the NETS-C Standards.

Edmodo is more than just a slick course management tool. It gives teachers all kinds of options for implementing what we know are best practices, such as differentiation, personalization, frequent and meaningful formative assessment, quick feedback, and the ability to quickly collect and analyze student data.  It allows teachers to do these very quickly and easily.  It also allows teachers to engage in best practices as professionals, with the ability to connect with other educators both inside and outside their building.  In edmodo, teachers can connect, communicate, and share resources in ways that help build a comfortable and quite useful PLN. 

For the project, I decided that what I would do for an edmodo roll out would be to set up a page within our school website dedicated to learning and connecting on edmodo, and include various edmodo resources.  I would make short videos that would introduce some aspect of an edmodo feature, and give a brief description of what the feature does.  I'll also include links to very specific edmodo tutorials.  The first thing I would do would be to set up an edmodo "Teacher's Lounge".  This would be a place where teachers would all join. It could be a discussion board for our school, as well as a place to actively practice using some of the features of edmodo.

Here is a video that shows through a few examples, what some of these resources might look like.  I've also included some of the NETS-C standards that directly apply to the examples I've included.


See my previous blog post on Pearltrees to see how I curated some of my resources for this project.

No comments:

Post a Comment